Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Beach

BURN!

Ron had a rare, but always enjoyed, Saturday off. We knew we were going to save the day to do something together, but we weren't sure of what. Eventually we decided to go to Newport Beach for the day. It was a very last-minute decision, but we borrowed an EZ-Up tent from the Broderick's and were ready for a day of fun in the sun.

Trying to be thrifty, we packed our own picnic and headed out. (again...gas alone was enough!) I talked to my Grandma on the way, and she gave me the "grandmotherly caution" of "...don't get burned..." Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just because I've gotten burned every time I've been to the beach this summer, doesn't mean I will now! Besides, I've finally gotten a base tan on my ever-pasty bod.

The weather was perfect...low-70's and overcast. Not too hot.

Once we arrived, I asked Ron to grab "the Mickey bag". "What Mickey bag?" he asked. "The one with diapers, wipes, Sunblock, toys, etc." I replied. "I never grabbed a Mickey bag." "WHAT? I thought you had it!" "Nope..."

Wanting to avoid trying to find another parking space, we decided to risk the sunburn instead of going to buy some sunblock. We had a great time, and never felt too hot due to the cloud cover in the sky.

We enjoyed a few hours of play, and then headed back home. To our dismay (and despite the majority of the hours spent in the shade by Blake and myself), we ALL GOT BURNED. I feel so bad that my nearly-2-year-old got burned just as badly as I did. I feel like I've totally abused my children! It's an awful feeling.

The rest of the day has been spent applying aloe to each other, as well as Ron and I guiltily reflecting on our poor decision.
NEVER AGAIN!

Just for fun, here's a picture of Blake in happier, less red days.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That is so sad. When we went to the beach I didn't put sun block on the twins, but they were in the shade the whold time and it was late in the day, but I was worried when I got home and I felt like I got burnt. I was freaking out. Sorry about the burns, sounds pretty bad.

Taryn said...

That is no fun! I am so glad that you have a blog now! Maybe you have had it for awhile and I didn't notice...oh well I am glad anyway. Your picture of you overlooking the water is FABULOUS.