Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Friends Anyone?

"WAIT MOM!" This is the phrase I'm constantly hearing from my five-year-old recently. He's a very sloooow mover, and apparently his new friends are as well.

I've come to realize that Colin is about two years behind in his not-really-milestone-milestones. His random comments have just started (the latest bedtime one, "Kids love birthday parties"), the MINE phase has yet to end, and now we've gained imaginary friends.

The other day I was in a rush to get out of the house. I had things to do and places to go. I had just locked the front door when Colin said his new phrase for the first time, "WAIT MOM!". I frantically unlocked the door hoping it was an unprompted potty break. The door opened and Colin stood still for a moment. Then he replied, "Come on R2D2. Come on C3PO. Let's go." He looked back as he walked away as if to check on their progress.

The next of severa
l times was when we were leaving the parking lot of Las Brisas. I put the car into reverse, and again hear "WAIT MOM!". I slammed on my brakes. Colin opened his door and encouraged his friends to get into the car. This time he added machinery-type sound effects as if the robots were being loaded into the car.

Our new friends have enjoyed
meals with us, shopped at Costco, bath time, and playing with the dogs. So far I think I'm the only one that has been made aware of their presence, and I'm happy to share this friendship with my little guy. (How could you not like friends that share, don't complain, don't yell, and always eat their food?!) Welcome to the family, boys!

5 comments:

Grace said...

that is so cute!

janae said...

Kids are so fun. Pure entertainment. Emily has made up friends before, packed her bags, and while heading out the front door said, "I'm going to see 'Reeson' in California for my class!" Huh?!? :)

Amy said...

Ditto on Mary's comment. Very cute and I love that he adds sound effects.

monika said...

So cute, Karis! So are you guys big star wars fans? I'm curious why he picked R2D2 and C3PO. I just love that Colin! He's so sweet.

Heather said...

This is so sweet. None of my kids have ever had imaginary friends that I am aware of and I must admit that I am a bit envious of your fun experience and great stories. :)