Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Near Death Experience

Crazy Driver

Yesterday I was as happy as a clam to finally end my work day. Let's just say it was a long week. (and as a note to people who might be unaware...it isn't polite to just SHOW UP at your dentist or doctor's office and expect to be seen. It's better to call them. If they are a good practitioner..or person...they will MAKE time for you.) Anywho...I was heading to the Johnsons' to pick-up my kids. I was driving East on Baseline. When I almost reached Mills Ave, I decided to change to the unoccupied left lane. The light turns green. Myself and the car next to me proceed through the intersection when a loverly person decided to run a red light heading north up Mills Ave. The SUV next to me hit her and she spun around to where she was facing south on Mills.

WOW!

It pretty much happened in slow-mo, and so I watched the girl that ran-the-red as she spun around. She handled her car like she was a professional stock-car driver! AND...no change in her expression the ENTIRE time! Instead of pulling off nearby where she already was, she made a right back onto Baseline, made another U-turn on Baseline (ignoring on-coming traffic, of course) and then parked in a busier area on Baseline.

Not only did I realize that I was lucky to have missed that one ONLY because I had changed lanes just seconds before, but I realized there should be some sort of IQ test to get your driver's license.

And as a side note, I've also realized this was not REALLY a near-death-experience. But it almost was.

Peace Out

Someone taught Blake how to do the"peace out" thing...you know...pound your fist to your chest two times and then do the peace sign? Yeah...that one. He normally only does it when reminded or prompted (and his peace sign consists of one finger), but that has changed.

He's decided that when I do something that makes him happy, he does the "peace out" pound as he walks away from me. For example, I let him have an organic lollipop tonight. I opened it and handed it to him. Rather than the usual, "Daint doo, mommy", I got the peace out pound. This combined with the hip-hop dancing already says a lot about my nearly two-year-old.

FYI

For all of the fellow Disney enthusiasts, we are now unable to sign-in to Disneyland. For the rest of the summer, our Silver passes are blocked-out until almost September. Yes...I know. It's a sad day. I'm mourning the FREEdom of our Disney benefits, but happy to know they will return. AND...if Ron keeps working until after he turns 55, we get lifetime sign-ins even if he doesn't work there! WOO HOO! Only 29 years left, honey!

No comments: